Thursday, May 16, 2013

Old sugar mill in lihue

This is what's left of the old sugar mill in Lihue.  It was the one with the monkey painted on the tower. I wish I had taken a picture of it while it was still standing.  It closed down around 2001 or 2002 due to popular opinion it had become a living breathing carcinogen.  The old red dirt shirt shop closed its doors shortly after, along with the old Big Save.  I feel so lucky to have seen everything where it stood.  Some of the greatest innovations in our time (class of '86) had happened here and the little village I call home had marked, in discrete respect many of them.  The times they are a changing- in fact StarMarket Puhi became a Times Market- but anyway, I took the 'first Tuesday' of every month train ride 3 or 4 years ago and the guide mentioned finishing the Lihue light rail.  I'm fascinated to find where and what these spectacular Hawaiian minds are thinking, what new direction our small hub city will be taking in what seems in the most recent destruction - the dawn of a new age.  It's all been pure 'Fantasia' - Disney magic!  and I'm excited to see where it will take us.